美得令人窒息的英文詩(英文美詩鑑賞TheCity城市)
2023-07-08 00:45:50
【英語美詩】你所抵達的將永遠是同一座城市
The City 《城市》-C.P.Cavafy
You said, "I will go to another land,
I will go to another sea.
你說:「我要去另一個國家,另一片海岸,
Another city will be found, better than this.
找另一個比這裡好的城市。
Every effort of mine is condemned by fate;
無論我做什麼,結果總是事與願違。
and my heart is -- like a corpse -- buried.
而我的心靈被埋沒,好像一件死去的東西。
How long in this wasteland will my mind remain.
我枯竭的思想還能在這個地方維持多久?
Wherever I turn my eyes, wherever I may look
I see the black ruins of my life here,
where I spent so many years, and ruined and wasted."
無論我往哪裡轉,無論我往哪裡瞧,
我看到的都是我生命的黑色廢墟,在這裡,
我虛度了很多年時光,很多年完全被我毀掉了。」
New lands you will not find, you will not find other seas.
你不會找到一個新的國家,不會找到另一片海岸。
The city will follow you.
這個城市會永遠跟蹤你。
You will roam the same streets.
你會走向同樣的街道,衰老
And you will age in the same neighborhoods; in these same houses you will grow gray.
在同樣的住宅區,白髮蒼蒼在這些同樣的屋子裡。
Always you will arrive in this city.
To another land -- do not hope --
你會永遠結束在這個城市。
不要對別的事物抱什麼希望:
there is no ship for you, there is no road.
那裡沒有載你的船,那裡也沒有你的路。
As you have ruined your life here in this little corner,
you have destroyed it in the whole world.
既然你已經在這裡,在這個小小的角落浪費了你的生命
你也就已經在世界上的任何一個地方毀掉了它。
選自《卡瓦菲斯詩集》
黃燦然 譯 / 重慶大學出版社 / 2014-1